Friday, October 28, 2011

Jack-'O-Lantern Fruit Plate {Halloween Party}

This is more of an idea inspiration than a recipe. Just wanted to share the fun little fruit Jack-'O-Lantern my 4 year old and I made together this morning for his Preschool Harvest party. I peeled all the little Mandarin oranges (which are SO sweet and delicious this time of year) and together we arranged the fruit. All together it only took about 20 minutes (lots of peeling), which was good since we did it in a mad dash before school this morning.  I didn't want those oranges getting dried out.  It was a fun and tasty project and one that I hope all the preschoolers will enjoy as well.

Tip: We used an orange "Pumpkin-shaped" plastic platter, with slightly upturned edges, to help with this. Any circular or oval platter will work. We used just about 1 bag of Mandarin oranges, 1 celery stalk, about 8-10 strawberries, two handfuls of grapes and a 1/2 handful of blueberries.

Update: We've gone on to make this multiple times and every single time it's been a huge hit for both kids and adults alike. It's so fun and attractive to look at and everyone loves to see fresh fruit at an otherwise candy-overloaded party. It is important to wait until the last minute to peel the oranges and I like to keep them covered with plastic wrap until it's time to serve to keep them from drying out.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this thank you for posting, its easy to find a ton of treat ideas but not as many healthy ones. I love this!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I am always looking for healthy snacks for school and parties at home. This one is great. In fact, I make it for our recent pumpkin carving party. Thanks so much for the great idea.

You can see my version here (I gave you credit and a link back): http://notyournormalsteam.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/pumpkins-pumpkins-everywhere-oh-and-spooky-food-too/

P.S. I also made the fruit rainbow this spring.

Liz said...

That is so adorable! I love that pinterest is helping me find great blogs.

Cathy @ NurtureStore said...

I love this! nice to have a non-candy choice.

laU said...

This is adorable! Looking for an idea for my son's daycare party and I think I've found it. Most of them are just about two, so I'll probably cut the segments in half for them. I love this!

Post a Comment

Did you try this recipe? Are you planning to? Thanks for following our blog, we love your comments!






new posts sent to your email 

disclaimers

NOTE: The information on wholesomedinnertonight.blogspot.com is compiled from a variety of resources and is presented for educational purposes only. If you have questions or concerns regarding your physical or mental health, please seek assistance from a qualified healthcare provider.

Although this site includes links providing direct access to other Internet sites, wholesomedinnertonight.blogspot.com has not participated in their development, and does not monitor or exert any editorial control over these sites. Please review each website for their own privacy information.

Recipes listed as gluten free assume you are using gluten free ingredients when sauces or chicken stock, etc is listed. wholesomedinnertonight.blogspot.com has no control over where you get your ingredients, and which sources/brands of individual ingredients are used in your cooking. Thus we cannot guarantee that the end product you create will be gluten-free.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...