Recipe: (makes 15-20 pieces)
For the sticky Rice:
2 cups sushi rice
3 cups water
1 T rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 T water
2 tsp olive oil
1. Rinse the rice in strainer with cool water. Using a rice cooker or small pot add the water and rice and cook per package instructions.
2. In a small sauce pan over medium heat prepare your sticky rice syrup; add vinegar, sugar, 2 tablespoons of water and oil until warmed and combined.
3. In a large bowl mix the rice and syrup together, then allow to cool enough to handle.
For the stir fry:
cut all veggies into thin strips about 2 inches long
1 large portobello mushroom
2 large carrots
3 celery sticks
3 bok choy
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1-2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
1 T olive oil
3 chicken breasts (pounded flat)
marinade in organicville sesame teriyaki marinade
grill until 160F internal temperature.
cut into thin strips
1. Place nori (seaweed sushi roll paper) down and cover with sticky rice (wet finger tips keeps the rice from sticking to your fingers). Leave about 3/4" inch of nori without rice on one edge.
2. Place a few small spoon fulls of the stir fry mixture and a few strips of chicken and then roll towards the edge without rice. I used parchment paper to help roll instead of a bamboo mat.
3. Moisten the strip of nori that you left without rice on it with wet fingertips before it is rolled up and it will help it stick and seal shut. Roll tight and cut into slices with a very sharp knife (wipe your knife clean between each cut).
I was lucky enough to get the leftovers again for lunch today with my favorite sushi meal beverage...green tea. Remember not to scorch your green tea. Green tea is best served at about 150'F says the internet. Or you can just do what I do and pour an inch of cold water into your mug before adding the boiling water from the teapot. ;-)
green tea brewed to perfection